Monday 8 July 2013

30 Day Chronic Illness Challenge: Day 9

Day 9: Have you ever tried any alternative therapies, if so what? Did they work?

No, I haven't. The only non-medication relief I have is a rigorous exercise routine.

That isn't to say I'm completely dismissive of alternative therapy though. It's more than possible that no particular one has quite been "sold" in the right way for me yet. I've always believed very strongly in the idea that if something works for you then it shouldn't be the province of others to criticise it. I'm a firm advocate of "each to their own".

Now before I make the next comment, I do want to add the caveat that I think for the most part the chronic illness tags on all the websites I use are fantastic. They offer a sense of community and act as a hub of support and advice.

However, they really do wind me up when they descend into a "what did you post that suggestion for, it doesn't work for me therefore it's stupid?"

Everyone is different. Everyone with the same condition is still different. It's actually one of the things that has so far kept me from doing one of my traditional longer posts about my exercise routine - I know how unpopular an idea it can be. It's in the list of things I have to work on after the end of this challenge and I will put it together eventually.

There seems to be a reluctance to think a little bit outside of our own personal box in terms of treatment - if nobody ever tried anything new, how do you think treatments would be established? Also, expecting a one-size-fits-all answer is somewhat foolish - if we had one, we'd all be cured by now wouldn't we?

I don't subscribe to the idea that treatment is static - in my mind it's a fluid and progressive process built on finding new methods and trying new things under guidance. Just because I haven't found an alternative therapy which has piqued my interest doesn't discredit the many people who have found them beneficial, and neither does it mean I won't possibly find one in the future.

Finally in summary, because it seems to be the one I'm most frequently asked about, I'm just not bendy enough for yoga. Important limbs are likely to snap and come off if I try most of it....

(Nope, I'm sorry but nothing in the world will convince me my legs will ever do that. 
Courtesy of kyrinhall.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment